The Thanksgiving Tree

The Thanksgiving Tree

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Straight from the Lion's Mouth

He rescues and He saves;
He performs signs and wonders, in the heavens and on the earth
.
Daniel 6:27


"Here's your Night-Night, Josh. Here it is!" Emma Faye squealed in delight.

"I know," Josh replied. "I don't want it right now."

Ah, the Night-Night. Josh's little lion he has slept with since he was a baby. Although, one would never know he was a lion. It's missing eyes and hair, and his fuzzy tail is completely gone. It's mane is a ring of matted fur balls. But he's still smiling. Why wouldn't he be? He had won the heart of a little boy.

Lions. I've had my mind on lions today. I suppose it's because I am in Daniel and spent some time in the lion's den this morning. I love this story. I think it's amazing how the Lord closed the mouth's of those beasts. The king's call to Daniel on the morning after so resonated in my heart today...

"Daniel, servant of the living God, has your God, whom you serve continually, been able to rescue you from the lions?"


I remained on that question. It's a good question. It's a GREAT question for one living in doubt or overwhelmed by daily tasks of living and running a household. Has your God, whom you serve continually, been able to rescue you from the lions?

I am preyed upon by the mouths of lions everyday. The voices of fear. The voices of "not good enough." The lies. I hear the whispered what-ifs and the if-onlys. Lions, I tell you. However, I have begun to realize that my real problem is not battling the lions. It's battling the lions, alone. I can't do it by myself. How strange it would be for Daniel to walk into that lion's den and think he could defend himself against their strength. He trusted in something greater. So often, I approach my trials first and foremost by looking for ways to deliver myself. I am frantic and filled with hopelessness. The impossible task becomes just that...impossible. That's because I wasn't meant to rescue myself. That's what Christ did on the cross. What would my day look like if I would pray in faith for the Lord to rescue me from situations. From loneliness. From sorrow. From discouragement. From sleep deprivation. What would it look like for me to trust in Him to rescue me, instead of me coming up with my own remedies. Instead of searching facebook for friends to connect with. Instead of feeding my pain with chocolate. Instead of injecting my body full of caffeine to make it through another hour. What would it look like for you? Have you asked yourself the question? Do you believe this God whom you serve continually can really rescue you from your lions? Does the way you handle hardships in your life expose this as truth?

What's so beautiful is that He wants to show you. Let Him. Why as women, and even men, do we need to be so strong that we can't allow ourselves to be saved. We call ourselves "saved"- for those who believe in Christ Jesus. But we don't allow ourselves to be saved day in and day out. Jesus talks about faith, as small as a mustard seed, is able to move mountains. For me, faith in the small things is harder than the big things. If it's something that I can somewhat handle or control on my own, it's a struggle for me to relinquish that to Christ. But I know He cares about me. I know He loves me. I know He wants to carry my burdens. He bore my sins on the cross. He desires to lighten my load.

Lord, help me allow you to rescue me. Help me serve you faithfully and when I must walk into those lion dens, strengthen my faith. You are strong enough to rescue me as I place my hope in YOU.

1 comment: